Are you in the market for a modern lightweight point and shoot camera that literally fits in your pocket? If so, then you should follow this post.
Shopping for electronics is a time-consuming search. By the end, you feel frustrated and confused and stop the research altogether.
This post contains certain sets of Amazon Website links to help you in your planning. I am given a tracking link, that when a potential buyer clicks through on that link and makes the purchase, I am given a small percentage of the end cost.
I need you to know that if you click through my link, no extra cost will be added to your final price just because I get a kick back. In fact, in many cases, you’ll probably get a discount for clicking through my links.
Guide On Which Point And Shoot Camera To Buy 2019
I myself have been researching and digesting countless Amazon reviews and Pinterest suggestions in my previous search for a new point and shoot digital camera.
Through researching, I’ve compiled a short list of the most popular point and shoot digital cameras. The reason for this post is to share with you my research to save you some valuable time and to help you narrow down your own list.
Why Purchase A Point And Shoot Digital Camera?
Currently, many of us have left our digital cameras at home and replaced them with our smartphones. The picture quality of many of the smartphones in the market produces fantastic photographs, but why not use something that is built strictly for taking pictures?
While a DSLR might is an excellent option for remarkable photographs, carrying a DSLR can be a pain because of its size and weight. A point-and-shoot digital camera is excellent for holiday photographs because of its lightweight and size that you take anywhere.
When it comes to travel, you are building memories that can happen at any time, which is why a compact digital camera is perfect because its there when you need it.
When unexpected moments like a breathtaking sunset or a chance meeting with a Mickey Mouse, having a point and shoot digital camera will allow you to capture those memorable moments.
Benefits Of A Point And Shoot Digital Camera
Below are just a few of the benefits that Point And Shoot Digital Cameras can provide.
- Extremely easy to pack for travel.
- The versatility of taking anything from portraits of your relatives, landmarks in the distance and virtually everything in between.
- Extremely easy to use, but additionally offer similar manual controls to a DSLR.
- Superior image quality that your smartphone can’t provide due to larger sensors.
- Many now have built-in Wifi to upload to social media just like a smartphone
- Optical zooms. These compact cameras allow you to shoot object off in the distance that wouldn’t be possible on a phone.
- Not having to worry about battery power since the Point And Shoot Digital Camera doesn’t rely on apps and roaming as your smartphone does.
- The Point And Shoot Digital Camera varies in price depending on the brand and features. The list of suggestions below range represent costs from $300 to $1,000, so anybody can find something within his/her budget.
Side note: All the links below are directed to Amazon because I feel it is a great place to go shopping based because reviews on the site are from genuine people. Plus, being an amazon prime member also helps, because I get free 2-day shipping when I require an item fast.
You can click on the image or link to learn more about every camera below and to refer to the reviews on Amazon.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Digital Camera – Wi-Fi Enabled
- New 1.0-inch, 20.2 MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor combined with Canon’s powerful DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- f/1.8(W)-f/2.8(T), 4.2x optical Zoom (24mm-100mm), 9-blade iris diaphragm and IS equipped lens
- Selfie-ready multi-angle capacitive 3.0″ touch panel LCD
- Capture stunning 1080p/60p Full HD video with up to 60 fps
Promising Review: “This canon point and shoot camera took some sweet pictures for our trip to Machu Pichu. Despite its small form, this has a serious punch when it comes to taking photos. We took this on our trip instead of our DSLR, which was much bulkier and heavier. My wife is an amateur photographer and could not stop raving about the picture quality and the convenience this small point and shoot. The batteries lasted a long time, taking hundreds of photos per charge.
Please note, I am not saying that this is better than a DSLR, I am saying that due to weight and space, we opted to buy and take this with us on our trip. We are very happy with the pictures it took. We felt it was the next best thing to having a DSLR and all the lenses.”
View on Amazon.com ➜ Canon PowerShot G7 X Digital Camera – Wi-Fi Enabled
Nikon COOLPIX P510 16.1 MP CMOS Digital Camera with 42x Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and GPS Record Location
- 16.1MP 1/2.3″-type CMOS sensor
- 7 frames per second continuous shooting
- 42x F3.0-5.9 optical zoom lens (24-1000mm equivalent)
- ISO 100-3200, expandable up to 6400
- 1080p HD video
- 3.0 inch articulated LCD with 921,000 dots
- EVF with 100% coverage
- Built-in GPS with logging function
- SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- 16.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor
- 42x Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens
- 3-inch Ultra-high-resolution (921,000 Dot) LCD
- Full HD (1080p) Movies with Stereo Sound
- GPS record location information of your pictures and movies
Promising Review: ” A friend had recommended the Nikon Point and Shoot P510 and since my wife and I were going to Italy I wanted a new camera so I took the advise. The camera has everything you could need and if you’re a novice, the auto feature makes it easy to operate. I was amazed at how powerful the 42:1 optical zoom is and is great on those far away shots. On the backside, the macro feature allows you to get within an inch of the subject. GPS on a camera? Who would have thought of that? Also, while on my trip, I had at least 4-5 people ask me about the camera as that candy apple red color is pretty cool. Want a great camera that is easy to operate and has a ton of features for around $400? This is it.”
View on Amazon.com ➜ Nikon COOLPIX P510
Related Article: The Best Places To Take Photos In Hollywood
Fujifilm X100F 24.3 MP APS-C Digital Camera
- 24.3MP X-Trans CMOS III APS-C sensor with no low-pass filter and X-Processor Pro
- 8-way focus lever + the number of focusing points has been expanded from 49 in previous models to 91 (up to 325 points)
- Built-in Iso dial, incorporated into the shutter speed dial and operating temperature is 0 degree Celsius to 40 degree Celsius (+32 degree Fahrenheit to +104 degree Fahrenheit)
- AF mode(single / Zone / wide-tracking).Hot shoe: Dedicated TTL Flash compatible
- New np-w126s lithium battery
Promising Review: ” Astonishing camera. Passionate hobbyist – started my camera life with a Nikon D60 and a couple of kit lenses, moved on to Nikon D800 and a couple of fantastic but heavy lenses. Two little children came along, and I felt that with my Nikon kit I was carrying a third child. Was not able to use my camera that much and really missing it.
Bought this camera barely 3 months ago and it’s like a new lease of life for my hobby. Extremely light, simply astonishing picture quality, the camera is very versatile and works well in poor light also. The controls are intuitive, the body and texture of the camera are simply gorgeous.”
View on Amazon.com ➜ Fujifilm X100F 24.3 MP APS-C Digital Camera
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom
- 12.1MP 1/2.3″-type CMOS sensor
- 12 frames per second continuous shooting
- 25-600mm equivalent F2.8 lens (24x optical zoom)
- ISO 100-3200, expandable up to 6400
- 1080p HD video recording
- 3.0 inch articulated LCD with 460,000 dots
- EVF with 100% coverage
Promising Review: ” I am absolutely in love with this Panasonic point and shoot camera!!! I have used a wide variety of cameras from a Rebel T3i, Sony DSC-HX200 & HX300 & Nikon D3200. All of these cameras just didn’t work for me. The Canon and Nikon were both too clunky to carry around for light use and the Sony cameras were both very poor at sports shots.
This camera has all of the features I’m looking for and takes FANTASTIC photos! The shutter response time is perfect, all of my photos are clear despite the level of movement (such as sports photos) and the amount of features and settings provide unlimited opportunities for great photos!
This camera may not work for the professional or upper-level photographer, but for a sports mom like me, it’s the perfect mix between a DSLR and pocket digital camera.”
Canon Powershot SX60 16.1MP Digital Camera 65x Optical Zoom Lens 3-inch LCD Tilt Screen
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC allows wireless transferring of images and video ; Power Source :Battery Pack NB-10L, AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC80
- 16.1 megapixel 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with DIGIC 6 image processor (Canon HS SYSTEM)
- 65x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom and 260x combined zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer.Video Clip Length Up to 29 Min 59 Sec
- Bright 3-inch vari-angle LCD plus an electronic viewfinder. Operating temperature: 32-104°F/0-40°C
- Capture stunning 1080p HD video in MP4 format with a dedicated movie button and zoom while shooting
Promising Review: ” I bought this camera for my daughter at Christmas. I have owned and used the preceding model, the SX50, for over a year and really like it. I was surprised when my daughter suggested she would like to receive this SX60 as a present. Now we both use our cameras and enjoy them very much. Our joint experience is that the extended zoom really benefits from using a tripod. You can zoom out some and still hand hold for sharp IS pictures. But going out further means you really should support it for stability. The camera has functional perfectly and I have taken some great shots. Recommended. I have attached three pictures taken at different zooms with I think excellent results.”
Whether you are in the market for a great point and shoot camera for travel, or debating between a point and shoot camera vs. a DSLR, a point and shoot camera is always there when you need it.
If you ever decide to make a purchase from Amazon, for ANYTHING, even diapers..you can help me without spending a penny to do so. If you use my links to make your purchase (when you click a link here and it takes you to Amazon, that is using my links as once there you can buy anything and I will get a teeny small credit) you will in turn be helping this site to keep on going and keep on growing.
If you are looking for accommodations on the trip, I would suggest Airbnb. Join Airbnb with this link to Accept Trent’s invite to join Airbnb and you’ll get $45 CAD towards your first trip of $95 CAD or more.
Also, Join Uber with this link for $5 off the first ride.
If you liked this post click on the links below for more, or please tweet, pin, and share.
You can comment below with your stories and memories, as we would love to hear about them.
If you are a travel brand who would like to find out how to work with Trent, contact him here.